Residential students at the Troy Campus are permitted to download and install a copy of McAfee ENS for use on their personal computers. This software protects against virus, trojans, worms, and other forms of malware. For more information please read the section below titled Anti-Virus.
- Microsoft Office
- Anti-Virus Software
- Firewall Software
- FrontDoor Laptop Loss & Recovery Software
- Software/System Updates
- SPSS for Home Use
- E-mail, calendars and contacts
- File storage and sharing (including OneDrive)
- Online versions of Office including Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Office on tablets and phones
- Full, installed Office applications (PC and Mac)
- 50 GB e-mail storage, 1 TB for Office 365 storage
The Microsoft Office Suite is now available for download on up to five personal devices for students.
Anti-Virus software protects a computer against malicious software including viruses, trojans, worms, and spyware. These types of programs are often collectively referred to as "malware". They can be installed onto a computer via an infected file, across a network, as an e-mail attachment, and may be hidden within a program downloaded from the Internet.
Anti-virus software may be thought of as the police within a computer system. It protects a system by identifying the software that doesn't belong and then removing it and throwing it in a jail cell where it cannot interact with other software.
Troy University provides a copy of McAfee ENS 10.7 to students residing on Troy Campus, which will be verified with email. McAfee ENS 10.7 requires Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 10 up to version 1903. It will not work on Windows XP computers. If a student owns a computer that is not supported by McAfee ENS 10.7 it is the responsibility of the student to purchase anti-virus software that is compatible with one's system.
Simply installing anti-virus software isn't enough. It must be constantly updated to provide protection against the latest malware threats. McAfee ENS 10.7 automatically updates itself on a daily basis.
The anti-virus software pre-packaged with a new computer system is often only a trial version that will expire and must be purchased in order to receive future updates. Please verify that your Anti-Virus software is registered and updated.
Students who have Anti-Virus software installed but would like to install McAfee ENS 10.7, you must first uninstall the current anti-virus software, reboot the computer, then install McAfee ENS 10.7. If a student installs two Anti-Virus programs on the same computer it will slow the computer system down and may even cause the system to crash and/or not reboot.
Prior to installing ENS, any installed anti-virus software must first be uninstalled. Residential students must download the ENS Installation package for the Troy Campus.
The Installation directions for Troy Student Version of ENS includes step-by-step instructions for downloading and installing McAfee ENS.
To download the latest version of ENS 10.7 a student must be registered, have a valid Troy University e-mail address and live on the Troy campus. To download ENS please visit the following Website:
What Anti-Virus programs are currently supported?
For Windows OS in Academic Wireless Areas
- ESET (NOD32)
- EZ Antivirus
- FSecure Antivirus
- iolo System Shields
- Malwarebytes Antivirus
- McAfee NA
- McAfee 45
- Microsoft Security Products – Microsoft has released a number of Anti-Virus programs with different naming conventions. The listing is as follows:
- Windows Defender (Windows 8, 8.1 and 10)
- Security Essentials
- Sophos X
- WebRoot (SpySweeper)
- Symantec Personal
- Symantec Enterprise
- TrendMicro Corp
- Vipre Antivirus
For Macintosh OS in Academic Wireless Areas
- Microsoft SCEP
- Sophos X
The best defense against a virus is to never allow one into a computer. A firewall program protects a computer against malware and unauthorized access by restricting communication between software programs and the Internet. For example, a firewall that is configured to block file sharing between computers may prevent a worm from traveling from an infected computer to another computers across a network. It also prevents others from accessing a student's computer over the network.
A firewall may be thought of as precisely what it's name indicates. It's a thick wall that only allows certain information to pass through it.
Most operating systems include a basic firewall. Windows and OS X both have built-in firewalls that provide protection against common threats.
FrontDoor Software Laptop Loss & Recovery Free
FrontDoorSoftware is software that not only helps you prevent theft, but protects your information and assists with recovery of your stolen laptop. Installations include laptop registration, new talk feature, and 4 years of software tracking service Protect your laptop, information, music, emails and pictures for free today.
How will FrontDoorSoftware help prevent theft, protect your information, and assist with recover of your stolen laptop?
FrontDoorSoftware gives you up to 9 powerful features designed to help you get your laptop back fast.
- Theft Prevention Security Ownership Display Screen - The first screen someone sees when they turn on your computer and dramatically increases your chances of recovery. Update up to 9 fields of information at any time as you move or travel. Many asset tag companies report up to 80% recovery rates suggesting 4 out of 5 people are honest. Thousands of missing laptops at airports, hotels, etc. could be returned simply by displaying owner info.
- Audible Theft Prevention Alert Communication tool - Turn on a start-up audible security alert message that plays once at boot-up to help prevent theft. Organizations controlling multiple computers can send Text and Talk/Voice messages to users anytime.
- Proof of Ownership and Asset Management Tool - Automatically collects the machine address.
- Blast a 'STOLEN COMPUTER' message to the laptop - This helps prevent thief resale.
- Lock it Down - You can send a 1-50 character lockdown code that you create to the missing computer to try to help protect your information
- Update your security alert ownership display screen - Update your ownership recovery information from remote, and even send a text message to the thief.
- Yell at the thief - Turn on our laptop SHOUT for help talking feature. Now you have the ability to try to tell the thief what you think. You can use our standard message which will repeat when you check the STOLEN tab, or customize your own personal message.
- Send a TEXT message to the thief - In addition to the 8 fields of ownership information fields available, you can also type out a message and send it to a display text box on the laptop security screen
- Track it using Google maps - FrontDoorSoftware security program can also try to send out the location that it is communicating from if it senses any high speed internet connection in the area as it boots up. If your laptop is lost or stolen, and someone turns on your laptop, your FrontDoorSoftware program will try to send out information that will help you find it.
For support you will need to contact FrontDoor:
Even with the strongest firewall and anti-virus software a computer is still susceptible to attack if it's not updated regularly. Updates are generally classified as being either software updates for applications such as Microsoft Office or Internet Explorer or as system updates for operating systems such as Windows or OS X.
Operating systems can be configured to automatically download the latest updates. Students are responsible for ensuring their computers are up-to-date.
SPSS for Home Use
The university has a site license for SPSS that allows it to be installed on any university-owned computers when used for teaching or non-commercial purposes. Additionally, student, faculty and staff home use on personal equipment is permitted.